City of San Anotnio HIP
Down Payment Assistance
The Homeownership Incentive Program
Eligible persons buying new or existing homes within the San Antonio, TX city limits can qualify for The Homeownership Incentive Program (HIP) that provides up to $12,000 for closing costs and down payment assistance. Stable employment, good credit and ability to afford the mortgage payment are required to qualify.
The Homeownership Incentive Program (HIP) assist qualified borrowers with down payment required, some prepaids and closing costs. Maximum sales price for qualifying property is $110K. $12K is the maximum assistance allowed per household. Over 5 years, the HIP loan will be amortized at 3%. PITI combined cannot exceed thirty percent of gross monthly income (front ratio). Payback amount can be reduced to 50% or 25% of HIP loan, depending on the front ratio.
- First-time homebuyers OR Not owned residential property within the last three years from sale date.
- $110K is maximum sales price, which is the “Affordable Home Price” established by the San Antonio City Council.
- Qualifying homes must be located within San Antonio, Texas city limits. To verify property locations, please see Bexar Appraisal District’s Property Search. Home locations ineligible for the program: properties in municipalities such as Alamo Heights, Balcones Heights, Castle Hills, Converse, Elmendorf, Windcrest, etc.
- Must qualify for FHA 203B, VA, or CONVENTIONAL mortgage from a approved institutional lender. Please note: New American Funding requires 640 minimum credit score for qualification with this DPA program.
- Program requires gross household income not to exceed 80% of the median area income.
- All units must pass Housing Quality Standards (HQS) in accordance with HUD. To comply with this HUD guideline, HIP program performs a property review.
- The Homebuyer Club classes with a certificate of completion are required for all participants. Currently, the Homebuyers’ Club Program is operated by the Department of Planning and Community Development (DPCD), which offers education and counseling to potential 1st-time homeowners.
The 2012 Median Family Income for the San Antonio, Texas MSA is the basis for this DPA program’s income eligibility requirements. HUD annually updates income limits.
|Household Size||Maximum Gross Annual Income|
If have any additional questions regarding home mortgages, please contact a mortgage expert by filling out the form on the right or calling (512) 524-8077. You can also email Team@CandyBuzan.com.