Harris County DPA Programs
Down Payment Assistance
Harris County CSD DPA
Location Served: Harris County, TX
Provider: Harris County Community Services Department
Approved Lender: New American Funding – (512) 524-8077
The Harris County Community Serices Department (CSD) offers a downpayment assistance program to help individual purchase their dream home in Harris County. To qualify, applicants must be first time homebuyers and fall within the income limitations.
Harris County Downpayment Assistance Program (DAP) Guidelines
- The Harris County CSD will provide $14,200 of down payment assistance for new construction, $9,500 for resale properties, built within the past ten (10) years. Qualified applicants must live in the house for the duration of the affordability period, which is five (5) years.
- The Harris County CSD will provide $14,400 of down payment assistance for new construction or resale properties built within the past ten (10) years for disabled applicants only. As noted above, qualified applicants must live in the house for the duration of the five (5) year affordability period.
- The maximum purchase price of the property may not exceed the FHA 203(b) limits in Harris County.
- The home purchased must be in an unincorporated area of Harris County. Because these cities have their own programs, the home purchased cannot be located in the City of Houston, Baytown, or Pasadena.
- All applicants must complete a homebuyer certificate program through an HUD-approved, homebuyer education course provider prior to beginning the DAP process.
- In order to benefit from this program, the eligible homebuyer must live in the purchase house for a minimum of five (5) years, depending on the amount awarded to the individual.
- As required, the buyer must invest at least $350 or 1/2 of lenders downpayment toward the purchase transaction of the property.
- The buyer cannot have more than $10,000 in liquid assets, such as stocks, cash, or bonds.
- A credit score of at least a 620 is required.
- The buyer’s debt to income ratio (DTI) is not permitted to exceed 42%
- The buyer must have his/her credit and program approved through one of the listed approved mortgage lenders and Harris County in order to receive this program’s downpayment assistance.
- This program is ONLY for first time hombuyers, or individuals who have not owned a home for at least three (3) years, and those who meet the income limitations in the chart below.
- Applicant(s) must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident Alien
As of February 2012, the total family gross income cannot exceed the following:
|Number of family members||Max annual income*|
* Your income is not totally determined from your paycheck. It is also determined by use of your checking, savings, investment, and retirement accounts at a rate of 2 percent, plus any other forms of income you might receive, such as child support, reoccurring gifts, etc.
If you have any additional questions regarding home mortgages, please contact a mortgage expert by filling out the form on the right or calling (512) 524-8077. You can also email Team@CandyBuzan.com.