Texas Veterans Land Board Programs
Down Payment Assistance
VLB Home Loan Program
Location Served: Texas
Provider: Texas Veterans Land Board
Approved Lender: New American Funding – (512) 524-8077
The Texas Veterans Land Board created the Veterans Housing Assistance Program in 1983 to support our veterans in purchasing a home. The Veterans Housing Assistance Program provides qualified, Texas veterans with an unbeatable, low-interest, no down payment required mortgage so they too can have the opportunity to live the American dream and purchase a home.
In order to qualify for the Veterans Housing Assistance Program, Texas veterans must select a participating lender, and request a Texas Veterans Home Loan application. The application should be turned back in to the lender once it is completed.
Property requirements are as follows:
- The home must by located in the state of Texas
- The home must be used as the veteran’s primary/principal residence
- The property must be a single family, attached or detached, home, town home, or condominium
- If the property is a duplex or other multi-family unit, it must have been built at least five years prior to the closing date of the loan
- Other eligible properties can include manufactured or modular homes, but you will need to contact the Veterans Land Board or your lender to confirm
The requirements for new construction home are as follows:
- TThe home must be Energy Star labeled and certified, and meet the Environmental Protection Agency’s guidelines for Energy Star qualified homes
- If the home is following the RESNET National Home Energy Rating Standards, it must receive a HERS Index Score of 75 or less, and the home must have an energy rating Certificate that documents the HERS Index Score
If the Texas veteran is eligible for the program and receives the home loan, he/she should occupy the home within 60 days after the closing of the mortgage. Once occupied, the home must remain the veteran’s primary/principal residence for no less than three years.